Study Day – 3 Hours
This Study Day will consist of a variety of fun and stimulating activities for everyone to participate in. Activities will involve pulling pictures apart into colour, light, composition and subject matter. Your critical faculties will be stretched in all directions but by the end of the day you will be far more aware of the visual language that artists use. You do not need to be an artist to enjoy this day. You just need a love of Art and a playful temperament!
Activity: each group (five in a group) is given five black and white reproductions of paintings that use colour in contrasting ways, plus outline drawings of each picture. Participants colour in the outline drawings using crayons. When they have finished, I will show them the original coloured versions and analyse their choices and the historical context within which the original artists worked.
Activity: groups are given five colour reproductions of paintings that use light in contrasting ways, plus outline drawings of each picture. Participants fill in the outline drawings with appropriate shades from light to dark using pencils. When they have finished, I will show them the black and white versions of the colour pictures and analyse the use of light in each painting.
Activity: groups are given five paintings. Looking with an abstract mind, participants examine the following components of each painting:
- Composition: how is the painting composed of the vertical, horizontal and diagonal directions?
- Form: how do the forms relate to the circle, square, rectangle and triangle? Can you discern a pattern of similarities and contrasts?
- Space: what type of space is depicted, deep, shallow etc.
- Line: what is the quality of line in the painting e.g., smooth, jagged etc, and what feeling is expressed?
Activity: groups are given five pictures that have similar imagery but are expressing something different. Participants analyse the differences in:
- Narrative content
- Body language
- Type of environment
Materials required from each participant
- Set of coloured pencils, not soft or wax pastels.
- 2 Pencils, one HB and one 4B, ie one hard and one soft for light and dark
- Pencil sharpener